Readability and legibility
Readability and legibility are often confused. Readability is most often and more properly used to describe the ease with which written language is read and understood – it concerns the difficulty of the language itself, not its appearance. It is a psycholinguistic rather than a typographic issue. Factors that affect readability include sentence and word length, and the frequency of uncommon words.
In contrast, legibility describes how easily or comfortably a typeset text can be read. It is not connected with content or language, but rather with the size and appearance of the printed or displayed text. Typography - Wikipedia
Let's go for both.
I get tired of Lucida Grande easily, like having to watch my posture all the time. Maybe I should learn to like it more?
If I were a font, I would probably be Garamond.[1]The most recent book I designed was all Garamond and variants. There's something about serifs that contributes to the readability of a book. Of course, this could just be me and my love for Victoriana.
But, for online legibility, nothing beats verdana.
(Oh, lordy. I just realized... No, this has nothing to do with operating systems.)






No comments:
Post a Comment