Sunday, June 10, 2007

Before & after

On the outside, the only difference between the current header and the earlier (cf. Mise-en-abyme-ish) is the horizontal rule's length but, in terms of code, there's a huge difference. In fact, in the current header, the dark red line isn't even a horizontal rule. As mentioned in the previous post, the earlier navigation bar was built using CSS with the labels being regular arial text. In the new navbar, the labels are actually several GIF images and the seemingly continuous red line is the border above each. There's also a spacer GIF with its own red border to push everything to the proper place.

It took quite a bit of manual labor because my ancient copy of Photoshop seems to have gotten fatally corrupted since I used it the other day. So what I did was I took a screencap of the page, cropped everything else but the navbar, converted it to GIF (after downloading a trial copy of ReaGIF 2.0¹), cut it up, restored the original colors, and recoded it. Obviously, I have too much time on my hands...as well as being horrendously OC.

-----

¹ The trial copy places a pretty--or, rather, ugly--big watermark at the bottom-left of the converted file, rendering it quite unusable for most purposes.

No comments: